Mother Studies is a field of interdisciplinary study devoted to the issues, experiences, topics, history, and culture of mothers, mothering, and motherhood.
JourMS submissions are peer-reviewed and the journal is published annually on September 1 each year online. Print copies may be obtained by contacting our publisher.
The Editorial Collective of the Journal of Mother Studies invites submissions of scholarly articles and essays from the Interdisciplinary Humanities as defined by the arts, history, culture, the social sciences, women’s and gender studies, literary studies, anthropology, the folkloric, psychology, the digital humanities, and media studies. We encourage dialogue between varying fields and welcome feminist critiques of race, class, ethnicity, sexuality, technology, media, public heath, and nation. The Journal will also features book reviews about forthcoming works.
Please submit abstracts electronically. We will then contact you and ask you to submit a full MS Word attachments article via e-mail: JourMS@gmail.com
- All work should be double-spaced, with 1-inch margins, in 12-point Times font
- Scholarly essays should be 5-18 pages double-spaced. Reviews should be approximately 500 words (we are flexible).
- JourMS is interdisciplinary, therefore, writers can follow either APA or MLA format (depending on your discipline). Double space all text, on 8 1/2 X 11-inch paper, using Times New Roman. American spelling.
- All manuscripts must be submitted with a cover document:
- Include a page with author’s name, address, email, phone number, brief bio, affiliation, & recent publications
- A 250-word abstract
- You are welcome to submit original art, or photographic images along with your manuscript; please ensure that you have (or will) proper permissions. Additionally, we will accept alternative formats such as powerpoint, video, audio, and visual presentations.
- We will send you an acknowledgment of receipt once your submission is processed. The Editorial Board reviews all submissions before sending them out for external, anonymous peer review. We may provide reader comments, and ask you to revise and resubmit your work.
- Please submit final manuscript in Word Document to JourMS@gmail.com
Reproduction of copyright material
As an author, you are required to secure permission to reproduce any proprietary text, illustration, table, or other material, including data, audio, video, film stills, and screenshots, and any supplementary material you propose to submit. This applies to direct reproduction as well as “derivative reproduction” (where you have created a new figure or table which derives substantially from a copyrighted source). The reproduction of short extracts of text, excluding poetry and song lyrics, for the purposes of criticism may be possible without formal permission on the basis that the quotation is reproduced accurately and full attribution is given.
Schedule is as follows:
|Academic M.O.M. Conference Presentations||February in Fla.
May in NYC; Alternating Annually
|Call for submissions (rolling)||March 15- May 15|
|Acceptance emails are sent and editors are paired with authors||May 15|
|Editing process begins||June 15|
|Editors return papers to authors||July 1|
|Authors submit final papers and papers are forwarded for a blind review process||July 15|
|Blind review process is completed. Last round of edits are made||August 1|
|Lead editor submits papers for website publication||August 15|
|Journal is posted online||September 1|